Friday 4 March 2011

Spark 2011 - Ignite Your Future! The Marketing and Business Conference

As a York University, I have had the privilege of having access to a wide variety of great career building resources.  My only regret, having not taken advantage of them sooner.  As a Marketing student at York University, I have been granted access to the American Marketing Associations (AMA) York U chapter.  The AMA provides a great place for promising marketing students to interact, learn and network with other marketing students and industry professionals.  Over the past two years, the group has managed to muster up speakers from Air Miles, Ipsos Reid, and Disney, all very successful companies from which there is a lot to learn.  I am planning on attending their Spark 2011 event, on Saturday March 12th 2011.  This will be the first event I attend hosted by the group.

So I guess this begs the question, why?  Why haven't I been more actively involved in this group that is so beneficial and such an added asset to my credentials.  Well, for starters, I do believe the AMA's marketing of the group itself has been, for the most part, poorly coordinated.  I am now a fourth year marketing student, and I only started to hear about/see their recruiting presentations beginning late last year.  Secondly, I have been under the impression that memberships stretched from September to September, for when I asked to join in January, a member told me that I'd be paying the same amount as someone joining in September to only have my membership last for half the amount of time.  Now that I am aware of the fact that memberships last for an entire year, date to date, I am considering joining the actual association.

I am extremely excited for the Spark event on the 12th.  Who wouldn't be excited to spend an entire Saturday with well liked friends and professors from the university gaining industry knowledge and insight into possible career opportunities. I have been told that internships, possibly from Master Card, are going to be up for grabs and considering this is a goal of mine, to obtain an internship over this upcoming summer, what better time to start looking.  I will either add to this post or create another entry post attendance of this event. For those of you interested in attending this event, I'm including a link at the end of this entry.  (I've been told this event is not closed to York University Marketing students only, so come one come all!)

:D Til' we chat again!
Sarah
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2207785685

1 comment:

  1. 2 days until SPARK and I have managed to recruit a friend to accompany me! This is going to be good!

    ReplyDelete